The title of my post is a little mis-leading. It was really more like 3 miles of speed with very slow half miles before and after each one. It was also more like 6 miles with all the walking Maggie and I did that was not captured by my Garmin. But my Garmin is kind of like Facebook – if it’s not recorded, it’s not official.
The weather was beautiful today which made it difficult to be inside all day when I really wanted to be outside running! It cooled down just enough for our run. After the trouble my legs have been giving me this week, I was a little nervous about attempting speedwork, but so glad I did! My legs aren’t feeling 100% but were probably about 80% better than they were earlier this week.
We jogged the first half mile, but then walked most of the half miles between the speedy full miles. I couldn’t be happier with our speedy miles. Not only did we finish each one in less than 9 minutes but we had our fastest mile ever: 8:35!! Our splits:
- Speedy Mile 1: 8:46
- Speedy Mile 2: 8:49
- Speedy Mile 3: 8:35
- Total: 5 miles in 53:52 (10:47 average pace)
This run felt a little rough as we were doing it, but I felt amazing after. I can’t wait for 10 miles this Saturday! It’s been on my mind all week. I’ve always heard that your first double digits run is a big deal. One way I like to pump myself up for the 10 miles is to read recaps from other people who have run 10 miles. Here are a few for you to enjoy:
- Amy ran 10 miles for the first time just recently – and followed it up with 12 the very next week
- Kelly and Megan recently ran 10 miles – and accidentally ran through the finish line of a 5k!
- Jill recently ran an unplanned 10 miler
- Kim did her 10 miles on a treadmill. I’m very impressed!
- Caitlin’s post on the first time she ran 10 miles
- Janae ran 10 on her birthday – while watching the last 10 miles of the boston course. This girl is so inspiring!
- Tina ran 10 miles through Boston as part of her marathon training
Have you ever run in the double digits? How did you prepare? How did you reward yourself after the run?? If you have a recap, please leave your link! 🙂